Talk to Us

We're here for you

Whether you need make a claim or to ask a question we're only a phone call away.

For claims

Call13 24 80

24 hours, 7 days a week

For general enquiries

Call13 24 81

Personal Insurance
8:30am to 5:00pm AEDST, Monday to Friday

Business Insurance
8:00am to 8:00pm AEDST, Monday to Friday

While overseas

Call +61 3 9601 8222

Need your current policy documents?

Request business documents Request personal documents

Travel Insurance

Pack the travel insurance that really has your back

The big holiday you’ve been saving for is finally locked in. Before you do another thing, get your travel insurance sorted – you never know when severe weather will delay your flight or a volcano will erupt. With CGU, we have a range of travel insurance options available that offer you flexible, value-for-money travel insurance that can have you covered for almost any travel-related mishap, depending on the level of cover you choose.

Pre-existing medical conditions

Some medical conditions are automatically covered; for others, you may still be able to get cover (an additional premium may apply).

Travelling in Australia

Too easy. Our one-size-fits-all policy is just what you need – simply tell us if you’re travelling solo or with a companion

Got 2 minutes?

Get a quote

Compare Travel
Insurance Cover

When choosing your CGU travel insurance, a lot comes down to where you’re travelling to and who you’re travelling with. Only going as far as New Zealand? Our Economy cover will do you just fine. Hopping from New Zealand to Canada? You’ll need our Super Plus plan.

Terms and conditions apply to all cover types so please review the PDS for full terms and conditions.

Need help choosing the right insurance?

We’re here to help you work out which travel insurance policy is right for you. Our friendly CGU insurance specialists can answer all your questions, or you can turn to an insurance adviser for help in assessing your risk and working out the right cover for your needs.

Travel Product Disclosure Statement

Within this PDS, you’ll learn everything you need to know about what’s covered under your insurance policy.

We help you see it through

  • Trusted by millions

    It’s no accident that CGU has such a strong following. We receive thousands of calls for assistance every year to our 24/7 emergency hotline number.

  • Experience counts

    With 160 years of insurance experience behind us, you can trust CGU to help you out when you need it most.

  • Simple claim process

    It’s easy to make a claim with CGU. Get started any time of the day or night. The rest of the process is quick, simple and hassle-free, too.

Travel Insurance FAQs

  • Is travel insurance necessary?


    You never know what could happen overseas – whether it’s an accident while you’re adventuring in rugged and remote locations or a major weather event that throws all travel plans into chaos. Then there are all the little things, like a sprained ankle, lost luggage, or pick-pocketing.

    The fact is that there are more than 20,000 incidents a year involving Australians overseas¹. When you consider those numbers it makes sense to travel with the peace of mind that CGU Travel insurance provides.

    ¹ Information obtained from

  • How much is travel insurance?

    There are a few factors that affect how much your travel insurance policy costs, so we can’t answer this question directly! Your best bet is to answer a few easy questions on our travel insurance quote tool, or to speak to a CGU insurance adviser who can assess your risk and work out the cost of cover that meets your needs.

    We can tell you that travel insurance premiums are affected by:

    • Whether you’re travelling solo, with a companion, or with your family
    • Whether you have a pre-existing medical condition
    • The places you’re travelling to

    Get a quick quote.

  • What does my travel insurance cover?

    Some of the key things CGU Travel insurance covers:

    • Overseas medical, dental and additional medical expenses
    • Luggage and travel documents
    • Emergency purchases for lost or delayed luggage
    • Cancellations, delays and rescheduled travel cover
    • Returning you to Australia if medically required
    • Video cameras, cameras and portable electronic equipment
    • Return of hire car and excess waiver
    • Loss of income if you are unable to return to work once you get back to Australia

    Some things that are outside of your cover:

    • Any incident that does not occur during the period of insurance
    • Any act of violence or intentional damage by you
    • Hunting, polo or yachting in international waters
    • Off-piste skiing, snowboarding or heli-skiing
    • Theft or loss of cash or banknotes
    • The effects of alcohol or drugs
    • Not following travel warnings by governments or the media
    • Any medical condition that results in you deciding not to travel
    • Any illegal or unlawful act
  • What do I do if I am pregnant?

    Congratulations! Seriously though, you’ll need to know a few things about your cover.

    Until the end of your 24th week of pregnancy, you’re covered as normal (provided there are no complications and the conception wasn’t medically assisted). After that, you won’t be covered for any medical expenses, loss or damages caused as a result of your pregnancy or childbirth (so, for example, your waters break in Honolulu and you miss your plane).

    Please refer to the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) for full details.

  • Are my flights covered with travel insurance?

    Yes, they are!

    If your flights are cancelled or rescheduled (other than those caused by the carrier), we’ll cover you for any amount you’ve paid in advance for travel arrangements that are unused.

    If your flights are delayed or interrupted (other than those caused by the carrier), we’ll cover you for any reasonable expenses you incur for travel delays or interruptions caused by unexpected events that occur during your journey.

    If you’ve used frequent flyer points and can’t recover the points, we will pay the value of your lost points, too.

    Please refer to the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) for full details.

  • What if I'm a single parent travelling with kids?

    You can choose a single cover policy. Any dependent children travelling with you will be covered under this policy.

    Are you travelling in a family group, which includes children under the age of 21?

    All dependent children under the age of 21 will be covered under your policy. You will need to supply us with names and the date of birth of each child travelling with you.

  • What does 'dependent children' mean?

    A dependent child is your child or grandchild who is aged under 21, financially dependent on you and not employed full-time.

Understanding your Travel Insurance quote

Your destination

Some countries are riskier than others; while some have astronomical medical costs. Your destination is the key factor in determining your cover.

Your age

Let’s face it. As you get older, you become more susceptible to certain medical conditions so you may have a higher premium.

Length of your trip

Planning to travel for one week or three months? The length of your trip could be factor in determining the cost of your cover.

Single or Duo cover

If you’re travelling alone or with a companion then this will impact the cost of your cover.

Wherever you are, we're here when you need us

  • Lodge claims 24/7

    Travel incidents happen day and night. Simply call 13 24 80 at any time once you’re back in Australia to kick off your claims process.

    If you are overseas and need assistance, please call our 24/7 emergency hotline on +61 2 8895 0698. You can reverse charges when you call this hotline.

  • Your very own claims specialist

    In most cases, you’ll deal with one person from CGU. They’re here to answer your questions and support you throughout the claim.

  • Helping you get unstuck

    If your travel plans go awry or you have a medical emergency overseas, we’re here to help via our 24-hour worldwide emergency hotline +61 2 8895 0698. It’s reverse charge too.

For emergency travel insurance assistance:
While overseas: +61 2 8895 0698
Within Australia: (02) 8895 0698
We provide a 24-hour emergency assistance hotline for you to call if you have difficulties while travelling.
Call from anywhere in the world to speak with a highly trained, multilingual consultant (we accept reverse charges for overseas calls).
For all non-emergency claims, please contact CGU upon your return to Australia.

Need to make a travel insurance claim?

Step 1. If you are within Australia call 13 24 80 with your policy number and any other information about the incident handy.


If you are overseas and need urgent assistance, call our hotline on +61 2 8895 0698.

If you are overseas and do not require emergency assistance then contact our claims team in Australia on +61 2 9251 4298.

Step 2. We’ll kick off the claims process, and keep you informed every step of the way.

Visit the Claims hub

Get a Travel Insurance Quote Today

Get a quote