Talk to Us

We're here for you

Whether you need make a claim or to ask a question we're only a phone call away.

For claims

Call13 24 80

24 hours, 7 days a week

For general enquiries

Call13 24 81

Personal Insurance
8:30am to 5:00pm AEDST, Monday to Friday

Business Insurance
8:00am to 8:00pm AEDST, Monday to Friday

Web Chat

Web chat

8:30am to 5:00pm AEDST, Monday to Friday

While overseas

Call +61 3 9601 8222

Need your current policy documents?

Request business documents Request personal documents

Landlords Insurance

Protect your investment property with our broad cover

CGU’s Landlords Residential Property Insurance gives you broad protection and peace of mind for your investment property. Whether your property is damaged by tenants, destroyed by fire, or if you’re owed rent or are liable for medical bills, we can look after you. Here are some of the other things we cover.

  • Accidental breakage

    Cover for accidental breakage of fixed glass, basins, sinks, baths and toilets damaged by a tenant or their visitors

  • Water or liquid damage

    Cover for loss or damage to your buildings or contents caused by water or liquid (some exclusions may apply)

  • Vandalism or malicious acts

    Cover for deliberate damage or malicious acts, like vandalism, caused by your tenants or their visitors (Some exclusions apply)

  • Damage caused by your tenant's pets

    Get up to $2,500 cover per claim for accidental damage or loss caused by your tenant’s pet

  • Removal of debris and demolishing costs

    This cover is paid in addition to the sum insured, for up to 10% of your buildings or contents sum insured (The debris must occur as a result of an incident we agree to cover)

  • Burning out of an electric motor

    Cover for your motor if it’s 15 years old or less

  • Rebuilding fees (Building only)

    If your buildings suffer loss or damage and you need to rebuild it, we cover the costs for architects, surveyors and legal fees for up to 10% of your buildings sum insured (The rebuilding must occur as a result of an incident we have agreed to cover)

  • Loss of Rent cover (optional extra)

    If your building is uninhabitable after an incident we cover, up to 12 months, up to the sum insured chosen

  • Rent default and theft by tenant (optional extra)

    Cover for the weekly rental amount your tenants should have paid, for up to $5,000, less any applicable excess or bond. We will also cover you if your tenants or their visitors steal part of your building or any contents you have insured1 (some exclusions and conditions apply)

  • Liability cover (optional extra)

    Your choice of liability cover; $5 million, $10 million, $15 million or $20 million

Looking for landlords insurance in SA, WA or the NT?

Our landlord insurance is now only available through our partners in South Australia, Western Australia and the Northern Territory. If you would prefer to get your insurance direct from an insurer, you can visit NRMA Insurance to see their landlord insurance policy and get a quote.

If you already have a policy with us, we'll contact you if there are any changes to it in the future.

Go to NRMA Insurance

NRMA landlord insurance in SA, WA and NT is issued by Insurance Australia Limited, ABN 11 000 016 722 trading as NRMA Insurance. To see if this product is right for you, always consider the Product Disclosure Statement and Target Market Determination available from

Compare Landlords Insurance

Are you leaving some big-ticket items in the property you’re renting out, like a fridge, couch or TV? Or is it completely empty? At CGU, you can tailor your landlords insurance to suit you – with options to add extra cover for liability, rent default or loss of rent.

Need help choosing the right Landlords Insurance?

We’re here to help you when you are choosing which landlords insurance policy is right for you. Our friendly CGU insurance specialists can answer all your questions, or you can ask an insurance adviser, like a broker, to help assess your risk and work out the right cover for your needs.

We'll help you see it through

  • Experience counts

    With 160 years of insurance experience behind us, you can trust CGU to help you out when you need it most

  • Simple claims process

    It’s easy to make a claim with CGU. Get started any time of the day or night.

Landlords Insurance FAQs

  • How much is Landlords Insurance?

    There are many factors that influence your insurance premium – from your property’s location to the materials used to build it.

    The best way to get an answer is to complete our quick quote tool.

  • How do I make a Landlords Insurance claim?

    Making a claim with CGU is quick and hassle-free. You can lodge a claim any time of the day or night by calling 13 24 80. Then, you’ll be introduced to your very own claims specialist, who will support you throughout the claim.

  • Is Landlords Insurance important?

    Your investment property is likely to be one of your biggest assets, so it’s important to protect it. Imagine if the property was damaged or destroyed by fire. Without insurance, your investment income would go up in flames, too.

    Also keep in mind that, if you’ve borrowed money to buy your investment property, your financial institution may say that you have to take out insurance on the property.

  • Is loss of rent covered?

    Loss of rent is an optional extra you can add to your policy. If you choose it, we’ll cover any loss of rent equal to the weekly amount up to 12 months following an event that makes the property uninhabitable.

    To see what you’re covered for with loss of rent, please read the PDS.

  • Is the building covered with Landlords Insurance?

    As long as you take out Buildings & Contents or Buildings cover for your landlords insurance then, yes, it’s covered. This means that if a storm, fire, landslide, bungled burglary or other event causes damage to your property, we’ll cover it.

    To see exactly what types of buildings we cover and what the building is covered for, please read the PDS.

Understanding your Landlords Insurance quote

Amount insured

Whether you’re insuring your building, your contents or both, you choose the sum insured. This amount affects the premium but doubling the sum insured doesn't double the premium. That's because a total loss is unlikely.

Your excess

The higher your excess (which is the amount you pay when you make a claim), the lower your premium will be. The level of excess is entirely up to you.

How the house is built

Some building materials are more prone to damage or more expensive to replace than others. A brick home, for example, will have a lower premium than a weatherboard home. Older homes cost more to insure, too.

Your location

Some areas are more prone to burglary or damage than others. CGU calculates the probability of an event occurring in your area and applies it to your premium.

It's the little things that count at CGU

  • Broad cover for peace of mind

    If something happens and it’s not on our short list of excluded mishaps, you know you’re covered. It’s that simple.

  • Certainty with water-related events

    Whether the water comes from above, below or from a burst pipe, we’ve got you covered. CGU covers storm, rainwater, flood and tsunami to give you extra peace of mind2.

  • Rely on your rental income?

    We’ll pay your rent for you if the property becomes uninhabitable after an incident we cover. You can rely on our rent for up to 12 months when you add loss of rent to your policy.

Whenever you need us, we're right here

  • Emergency support

    If a wild storm causes damage, we can organise emergency repairs quick-smart so your tenant gets a roof back over their head as quickly as possible.

  • Lodge claims 24/7

    Unfortunate events happen day and night. Simply call 13 24 80 at any time to kick off your claims process.

CGU Flood Cover

CGU includes automatic flood cover with Home and Landlords Insurance. This ensures all customers are covered for damage caused by water, giving you peace of mind when water damage occurs. With an increase in severe weather events in recent years, this protects our customers and enables us to offer quick flood claim resolutions.

CGU Flood Cover additional information

Need to make a claim on your investment property?

Simply call 13 24 80 at any time to kick off the process.

Make a claim

Things you should know

1 If you took out a new policy from 28 March 2020 to 18 June 2021, you were unable to purchase the rent default optional benefit. You may be able to purchase this optional benefit on renewal. Contact us on 13 24 81 for more information.

2 Exclusions, limitations and conditions apply.

Other Personal Insurance Products