Contents Insurance

13 24 80 - 24/7 claims. Pay monthly at no extra cost.

Compare Contents Insurance

With CGU Contents Insurance, you’re covered for a wide range of items – from furniture to jewellery to TVs and laptops. It even covers your carpet and curtains. You’ve got three options for your Contents Insurance. With each, you’re guaranteed to love CGU’s attentive, quick service whenever you have questions or need to make a claim.

Terms and conditions apply to all cover types so please review the PDS for full terms and conditions.


Are you insured for the right amount?

Use our building and contents calculators to determine the level of cover that you need.

Home Building calculator
Home Contents calculator

Contents Insurance FAQs

Understanding your Contents Insurance quote

Amount insured

Whether you’re insuring your building, your contents or both, the higher the sum you choose to insure then the higher your premium will be.

Your location

Some areas are more prone to burglary or damage than others. CGU calculates the probability of an event occurring in your area and applies it to your premium.

Your excess

The higher your excess (which is the amount you pay when you make a claim), the lower your premium will be. This is entirely up to you.

Level of security

If your home has a premium alarm system and plenty of locks and bolts, it’s less likely to get burgled, right? We consider this when calculating your premium.

How the house is built

Some building materials are more prone to damage or are more expensive to replace than others.

It’s the little things that make our Contents Insurance better

  • Generous new-for-old replacement

    If your saggy old sofa is destroyed in a fire or flood, we’ll replace it with a new one. In other words, with our new-for-old replacement there’s no depreciation on your contents.

  • Heaps of additional benefits

    Get cover for all types of possessions, from electronic equipment to credit cards. We’ll even cover your heirloom crystal vase (if you’ve got one).

  • Great claims service

    We go out of our way to make the claims process hassle-free, and we pay valid claims as quickly as we can. After all, you’ve got other things to worry about.

  • Read our Blog article

    The burglars' shopping basket

Need help choosing the right insurance?

We’re here to help you work out which home insurance policy is right for you. Our friendly CGU insurance specialists can answer all your questions, or you can turn to an insurance adviser for help in assessing your risk and working out the right cover for your needs.


Product Disclosure Statement

Before you decide which level of Buildings & Contents cover is right for you, we recommend you read the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS). In each PDS, you’ll learn everything you need to know about what’s covered and what’s not. Go on, make yourself a cuppa and have a read.

Premium – Accidental Damage PDS
Quality – Listed Events PDS
Basic – Fundamentals PDS
Home Building Key Fact Sheet
Home Contents Key Fact Sheet

Whenever you need us, we’re right here

  • Your very own claims specialist

    In most cases, you’ll deal with one person from CGU. They’re here to answer your questions and support you throughout the claim.

  • Making sure you’re OK

    If your home is badly damaged and you find yourself without anywhere to live, we’ll look after you with temporary accommodation for up to 12 months.

  • You can lodge a claim 24/7

    Unfortunate events happen day and night. Simply call 13 24 80 at any time to kick off your claims process.

CGU Flood Cover

CGU includes automatic flood cover as a policy feature on Home and Landlords insurance. This ensures that all customers are covered for damage caused by water giving you peace of mind when water damage occurs. With an increase in recent years of severe weather events it protects our customers and enables CGU to offer quick flood claim resolutions.

CGU Flood Cover additional information

Need to make an insurance claim?

Step 1. Call 13 24 80 with your policy number and any other information about the incident handy.

Step 2. We’ll kick off the claims process, and keep you informed every step of the way.

Visit the Claims hub

Get a Contents Insurance Quote Today

Get a quick quote

^ These are real comments collected by customers but fictional images and/or names have been used to comply with our privacy policy.