Talk to Us

We're here for you

Whether you need make a claim or to ask a question we're only a phone call away.

For claims

Call13 24 80

24 hours, 7 days a week

For general enquiries

Call13 24 81

Personal Insurance
8:30am to 5:00pm AEDST, Monday to Friday

Business Insurance
8:00am to 8:00pm AEDST, Monday to Friday

Web Chat

Web chat

8:30am to 5:00pm AEDST, Monday to Friday

While overseas

Call +61 3 9601 8222

Need your current policy documents?

Request business documents Request personal documents

Building and Contents Insurance

Compare Building & Contents Insurance

CGU’s combined Building & Contents Insurance is our most popular type of home insurance, giving you cover for both your home and the many things inside it. You’ve got three options for your Building & Contents Insurance.

Premium cover

Accidental damage

Enjoy ultimate peace of mind with CGU's highest level of cover for your contents. As well as cover for events like flood, fire and theft, Premium will cover you for almost any type of accidental loss or damage. What’s more, your contents are covered anywhere in Australia and NZ for up to 90 days at a time.

Quality cover

Listed events

Get exceptional value for money with Quality cover, and know that you’re covered for a very wide range of natural disasters, weather events, break-ins and more.

Basic cover


Basic has you covered for floods, fires, break-ins and more. You’ll be pleasantly surprised at just how much cover you get!

Terms and conditions apply to all cover types so please review the PDS for full terms and conditions.

Looking for home insurance in SA, WA or the NT?

Our home insurance is now only available through our partners in South Australia, Western Australia and the Northern Territory. If you would prefer to get your insurance direct from an insurer, you can visit NRMA Insurance to see their home insurance policies and get a quote.

If you already have a policy with us, we'll contact you if there are any changes to it in the future.

Go to NRMA Insurance

NRMA home insurance in SA, WA and NT is issued by Insurance Australia Limited, ABN 11 000 016 722 trading as NRMA Insurance. To see if this product is right for you, always consider the Product Disclosure Statement and Target Market Determination available from

Do you know how much your home and contents are worth?

Use our building and contents calculators to get an estimate1.

Home building calculator
Home contents calculator

Building & Contents Insurance FAQs

Understanding your Building & Contents Insurance quote

Amount insured

Whether you’re insuring your building, your contents or both, the higher the sum you choose to insure then the higher your premium will be.

Your location

Some areas are more prone to burglary or damage than others. CGU calculates the probability of an event occurring in your area and applies it to your premium.

Your excess

The higher your excess (which is the amount you pay when you make a claim), the lower your premium will be. This is entirely up to you.

How the house is built

Some building materials are more prone to damage or are more expensive to replace than others.

It’s the little things that make our Buildings & Contents Insurance better

  • Trusted network of repairers

    If you need to make emergency repairs to your home, trust CGU to get the job done. Our reliable network of repairers will fix it, fast.

  • Generous new-for-old replacement

    If the contents of your home are damaged or destroyed, we won’t ask you how old they were. Instead, we’ll arrange repairs or help you buy new replacements.

  • Great claims service

    We go out of our way to make the claims process hassle-free, and we pay valid claims as quickly as we can. After all, you’ve got other things to worry about.

Need help?

We’re here to help you when you are working out which home insurance policy is right for you. Our friendly CGU insurance specialists can answer all your questions, or you can turn to an insurance adviser for help in assessing your risk and working out the right cover for your needs.

Product Disclosure Statements

Before you decide on the cover that’s right for you, read the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and Target Market Determinations. In the PDS you’ll learn everything you need to know about what’s covered and what’s not.

Whenever you need us, we're right here

  • Your very own claims specialist

    In most cases, you’ll deal with one person from CGU. They’re here to answer your questions and support you throughout the claim.

  • Making sure you're OK

    If your home is badly damaged and you find yourself without anywhere to live, we’ll look after you with temporary accommodation for up to 12 months.

  • How to claim

    Step 1. Call 13 24 80 with your policy number and any details you have (like where the incident happened and if anyone else was involved).

    Step 2. We’ll assign one of our consultants to your claim and give you a claim reference number.

CGU Flood Cover

CGU includes automatic flood cover as a policy feature on Home and Landlords insurance. This ensures that all customers are covered for damage caused by water giving you peace of mind when water damage occurs. With an increase in recent years of severe weather events it protects our customers and enables CGU to offer quick flood claim resolutions.

CGU Flood Cover additional information

Need to make an insurance claim?

Step 1. Call 13 24 80 with your policy number and any other information about the incident handy.

Step 2. We’ll kick off the claims process, and keep you informed every step of the way.

Visit the Claims hub

Get a Building & Contents Insurance Quote Today

Get a quick quote

Things you should know

1 Building and contents calculators are provided by CoreLogic and should only be used as a guide. These calculators' estimates may be different than estimates you get during your quote. We do not guarantee the accuracy or currency of the estimates.