Talk to Us

We're here for you

Whether you need make a claim or to ask a question we're only a phone call away.

For claims

Call13 24 80

24 hours, 7 days a week

For general enquiries

Call13 24 81

Personal Insurance
8:30am to 5:00pm AEDST, Monday to Friday

Business Insurance
8:00am to 8:00pm AEDST, Monday to Friday

Web Chat

Web chat

8:30am to 5:00pm AEDST, Monday to Friday

While overseas

Call +61 3 9601 8222

Need your current policy documents?

Request business documents Request personal documents

Car Insurance

Whether you’re just looking for basic cover or you want to give your pride and joy the protection it deserves, we have a range of options for you.

Find the right car insurance for you

Choosing insurance can be tricky, and it’s important to find a policy that works for you. Once you’ve worked out what you need, rest easy knowing you’re covered in case something goes wrong.

  • Top protection for your car

    Look after your car with Comprehensive Insurance, our most popular and highest level of cover.

  • $30 million liability cover

    All our policies offer up to $30 million of protection if you damage other cars or property.

  • No Claim Bonus

    With Comprehensive Insurance, each year you don’t make an at-fault claim earns you a discount on your premium (until you reach the maximum bonus)1.

  • Money back guarantee

    Change your mind? Get a refund if you cancel your policy in the first 21 days without making a claim.

  • Pay by the month

    If you don’t want to pay annually, pay every month by direct debit at no extra cost.

  • Repairs you can trust

    If repairs we authorise turn out to be faulty, we'll take a look and can have them fixed at no cost to you.

Why choose CGU?

165 years’ experience
Partner repairer network
Award-winning service

Ready to go?

Answer a few questions about your car and who drives it, and you could be covered in just a few minutes.

Looking for car insurance in SA, WA or the NT?

Our car insurance is now only available through our partners in South Australia, Western Australia and the Northern Territory. If you would prefer to get your insurance direct from an insurer, you can visit NRMA Insurance to see their car insurance policies and get a quote.

If you already have a policy with us, we'll contact you if there are any changes to it in the future.

Go to NRMA Insurance

NRMA car insurance in SA, WA and NT is issued by Insurance Australia Limited, ABN 11 000 016 722 trading as NRMA Insurance. To see if this product is right for you, always consider the Product Disclosure Statement and Target Market Determination available from

We’re here whenever you need us

We’re here for you 24/7

Accidents can happen anytime, so we’re available day and night. If something goes wrong, you can call right away.

How to claim

Step 1. Call 13 24 80 with your policy number and any details you have (like where the incident happened and if anyone else was involved).

Step 2. We’ll assign one of our consultants to your claim and give you a claim reference number.

Make a claim

Still have questions?

  • Is my car covered if someone else drives it?

    If you have a standard policy, your car’s covered no matter who’s behind the wheel (with a few exceptions).

    If you have a Nominated Driver policy, drivers under 25 aren’t covered (except learners accompanied by a fully licensed driver over the age of 25). Also, if someone’s driving and they’re not listed on your Nominated Driver policy, you’ll pay a higher excess if you make a claim.

    Make sure you’ve read the PDS before you let someone else drive your car.

  • How much does car insurance cost?

    The cost depends on a number of things, including your type of car and whether you’ve had an accident before.

    There are some ways to lower the cost, like if you name the drivers on your policy or if you choose a policy that has a limit on how far you drive each year.

    The fastest way to see how much your insurance costs and look at your options is to quick quote.

  • What type of insurance do I need?

    Comprehensive Insurance offers the most cover for you and your car if something goes wrong like an accident or storm damage. It’s also our most popular policy.

    If your car doesn’t need that much cover or Comprehensive is out of your budget, then take a look at a Third Party Property Damage policy. They still include $30 million in liability cover which protects you if you damage other cars and property so you’re not stuck with a big bill after an accident. And with Third Party Fire and Theft, your car’s still covered if it’s stolen or catches fire.

    See the PDS for more details.

  • Is a learner driver covered on my car insurance?

    Yes, learners are covered.

    If you have a Nominated Driver policy, learners have to be accompanied by a fully licensed driver over the age of age 25. See the PDS for more details.

  • How can I get an update on my car claim?

    If you’ve already made a claim and you want to see how it’s going, you can track it online or call us.

    Make sure you have your claim number handy, it’s included in any email, SMS or letter we’ve sent about your claim.

Things you should know

1 Any applicable discounts may be subject to minimum premiums. Discounts only apply until a minimum premium is reached. When we determine your premium on renewal, we may also limit any increases or decreases in your premium by considering factors such as your previous year’s premium amount.

Let’s get started, you could be covered in just a few minutes

Get a quote