Plumber's Business Risks

Plumber's Insurance Essentials

Get a trades insurance quote

As a tradie running your own business, time is precious and it can be hard to sit down and assess your business and insurance needs. They can be complex and varied like the day to day work you perform. That's why we're here to help.

Your plumbing risks

No two occupations are the same and different trades face different risks. By thoroughly understanding your unique risks, you will be able to better understand your insurance needs.

Your plumbing insurance needs

Due to the nature of what you do, your worksite is filled with potential risks and hazards. Getting the correct insurance coverage will ensure that should the worst happen, you'll be adequately protected.

Risk Examples for Plumbers

As a plumber, you're faced with a variety of hazards at work. However with day-to-day jobs at hand and the daily running of a small business, it's hard to find time to sit down and consider some of your most vital insurance needs, counteracting the potential costs of these hazards.

Get a trades insurance quote

Public Liability

It’s important and sometimes mandatory, to have Public Liability Insurance in place for your plumbing business. Your public liability risks could be heightened if you’re working in a busy office building or other job site where lots of people are based or visit. Continue reading to learn more.

More details

Product Liability

Product Liability might not be at the forefront of your mind every day you go to work, however what you produce or leave behind at your client’s premises should be accounted for as a risk for plumbers. Things can go wrong after you leave the work site and if the job isn’t done right, it can come back to bite you.

More details

Loss or Damage to Work Vehicles

As a plumber you’ve probably got a ute, van or trailer that you use everyday to run your business.  Imagine the potential setback and operational impact to your business if your vehicle was to be stolen or damaged, or if you incur costs for damage caused to other people’s property as a result of a motor vehicle accident.

More details

Complex risks for Plumbers

We recognise that running a small business can be complex. That is why we've partnered with a network of insurance advisers who can help assess your risks and suggest what cover will best suit your unique needs.

Find an adviser

Enter your suburb or postcode to locate an adviser near you today.

Business Interruption

Occasionally your plumbing business might suffer an interrupting event such as supplier issues or malicious damage to your work equipment and tools. This can make it very difficult for you to complete your plumbing jobs. With larger jobs in particular, some customers might demand the work still be completed to schedule, forcing you to hire equipment or outsource expensive replacements to fulfil your obligations. 

More details

Need help choosing the right insurance?

We’re here to help you work out which insurance policy is right for your business. Our friendly CGU insurance specialists can answer all your questions, or you can turn to an insurance adviser for help in assessing your risk and working out the right cover for your needs.

We help Plumbers see it through

  • Who we are

    CGU is a leading commercial, rural and personal lines insurer and a top-three provider of workers compensation insurance. CGU insure more than 125,000 businesses and over one million motor vehicles.

  • Our history

    At CGU, we are proud of our 160-year history of supporting customers in their time of need – it’s how we’ve earned the level of trust we continue to enjoy in all parts of Australia today.

  • Claims

    CGU manages around 350,000 claims every year – nearly 1,000 claims every day – and we pay on average 98 per cent of all claims we receive. That works out at around $1.6 billion in support to our customers every year when they need us.

Making an insurance claim

At CGU we pride ourselves on our superior claims process and customer service. You can lodge a claim anytime – 24 hours, 7 days a week by calling 13 24 80. Follow the below tips to ensure your claims process is as seamless as possible.

  • What to provide when calling to make a claim

    When you call us to lodge a claim, you’ll be asked to provide: Your policy number or personal contact details, and the contact details of anyone involved in an incident, including their name, current address, vehicle registration details, phone number and insurance details if known. Any letters, notices or court documents about the incident, and the incident report number for any claims in relation to theft or attempted theft, vandalism or a malicious act (the police will provide you with this number when you report the incident to them).
  • How to help the claims process

    Taking photos of damage to your property and keeping damaged property and items, so we can inspect and assess the damage if required
  • How emergency repairs work

    If you need to make emergency repairs, please call us on 13 24 80 and we will arrange assistance through our repairer and supplier network

Make a claim over the phone

13 24 80

24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Or contact your broker

Meet one of our tradies

Mike was on the job at a customer’s house when a visitor tripped over and injured themselves on tools Mike had left in the driveway. The visitor sued Mike and he was ultimately held liable for the person’s injuries.

Luckily, the Broadform Liability section of Mike’s Business Insurance Policy meant he was covered for his legal liability to pay compensation for Personal Injury. It included the amount awarded to the third party and coverage for CGU’s costs to defend Mike against the claim.

These costs add up and without Liability Cover, the impact of Mike’s legal costs and court awards could have put him out of business.

Get a quote for trades insurance today

Our trades insurance is designed to cover the unique needs of tradies. Choose the level of cover that works for your business in just a few easy steps. CGU Trades Insurance covers you for:

  • Liability Insurance for onsite business protection
  • Tool cover with flexibility to add on site overnight storage
  • Portable Electronic Equipment cover for devices such as mobiles, tablets and laptops if they are stolen, damaged or lost.
  • Commercial motor vehicle insurance to cover your work vehicle or trailer
Get a quote now

Useful documents