Need to make a home or contents claim? We’re here to help! Call us on 13 24 80.
Making a home or contents claim
Have your home or contents been damaged or stolen? It is easy to make a claim. Call us on 13 24 80.
- Take steps to ensure your safety and prevent any further damage to your property
- Report theft and vandalism to the police, and keep a copy of their report
- Call us on 13 24 80 to make a claim
What you'll need to make home and contents claim
You can make a home or contents claim by calling us at 13 24 80. We’ll usually ask you for the following information when you make a claim:
- Your personal details, and policy number
- Details of the incident, including any damage or loss
- Photos of the damage
- Police reports in cases of theft or vandalism
- Documents relating to your damaged or stolen property such as receipts, valuation certificates, credit cards or bank statements, or photos of items or owner manuals
Urgent make-safe repairs
If your property requires urgent repairs, please call us on 13 24 80 and we will arrange assistance.
What documents do I need to make a home or contents claim?
When you make a claim, we may ask you to provide documents relating to your damaged or stolen property such as:
- Purchase receipts
- Photos of damaged or stolen property
- Credit card or bank statements
- Instruction manuals or user guides included with the item
What happens once I lodge a claim?
Once you make a claim, we’ll explain options for repair or replacement, including if we need to assess the damage. If an excess applies, we’ll advise you when you lodge your claim.
If we need to assess the damage to your property, we’ll arrange a time with you for an assessor to visit. Once the damage has been assessed, we’ll let you know what will be repaired or replaced, and if there is anything that won’t or can’t be repaired.
We’ll then arrange for repairs to be completed, items replaced or funds to be provided to you. For most building claims, we can organise one of our partner repairers to fix your property, and will provide a lifetime guarantee on their work.
For contents claims, we will arrange for items to be replaced, or we can provide you with a store credit or card at one of our suppliers or send funds to you directly for replacement.
Do I need to pay an excess?
An excess is the amount you may have to pay toward a claim. There are different excesses that might apply depending on the claim you’re making and the terms of your insurance policy with us.
Usually you will need to pay an excess on home and contents claims. If an excess is payable, we’ll advise you when you call to make a claim.
What am I covered for?
CGU provides a range of different home and contents coverage options. Each of our home insurance policies comes with its own Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) which lists what you are covered for and what is excluded.
For more information about what you are covered for, please refer to your individual PDS.
If you’re not sure if something is covered, please ring our claims team on 13 24 80 and we will let you know.