Claims FAQ

Frequently asked questions to help guide you through the claims process

If you need to make a claim, we've made the process simple and straightforward.  The easiest way to claim is to call us on 13 24 80, and a claims consultant will guide you through the process. 

No one expects they will need to make an insurance claim, but every year CGU pays on average $1.3 billion dollars in claims to people who have had an unexpected incident. 

At CGU, we know that when you need to make a claim, you’ve already been through a stressful time.  We’ve made our claims process simple and hassle-free to help resolve your claim quickly and get you back on your feet.

The following are some commonly asked questions about our claims process. If you have a question that isn't answered here, please call our claims team on 13 24 80.

Frequently asked questions

  • What should I do if I want to make a claim?

    The quickest and easiest way to make a claim is to contact CGU directly on 13 24 80 (13 CGU 0). Claims can be lodged 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

    Enquiries on existing claims can be made from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm local time.

    If you need to make a life insurancetravel insurance, or consumer credit insurance claim, please read the instructions on the relevant page.

  • How do I change my personal details?

    You can change your details by calling us on 13 24 81

    during business or by submitting your request online . You should let us know of changes as soon as you can, within 14 days.

  • How do I renew my policy?

    You will be sent a renewal letter around a month before your current policy is due to expire . The letter will include your schedule which outlines any changes to the terms of your policy or the premium payable. If you have set up automatic payments your account or card will continue to be debited and your policy will be automatically renewed. If you have chosen not to pay by instalments, your schedule will provide options to pay.

    Did you know: You can pay by instalments at no extra cost!

  • What information will I need when lodging a claim?

    The more information you are able to give our claims consultant, the quicker we will be able to settle.

    In general, you will need to provide the following details:

    -your policy number and type

    -verify your personal policy details  

    -the name of the insured on the policy

    -detailed description of the incident

    -the date of loss and the loss address

    -any details of other parties involved (if applicable). 

  • What happens when I make a claim?

    Once your claim is lodged with CGU, we will allocate a claims consultant who will contact you regarding the next steps. Your claims consultant will keep you informed about your claim's progress along the way.

    We will give you a claim number which will be your ongoing reference to the claim. Please use this reference for all claims enquiries and when providing information to CGU on your claim.

    Some claims are simple but others are more involved - either way, you can be assured that we will be working as quickly and efficiently as we can to process your claim as soon as we can. 

  • Can I change my policy online?

    You can submit an online request to have your policy updated. If you purchased your policy through a broker or adviser, please contact them directly to arrange any changes. You can still submit your request online however there may be a delay before your request is forwarded to and actioned by your adviser.

  • When should I tell you about changes in my circumstances?

    We know that things change, but to ensure you're covered correctly, you should tell us about your new circumstances as soon as you can, within 14 days. This could be moving house, replacing your car, needing extra cover or even changing your payment details. You should do this to ensure that you're adequately covered in the event of a claim and that you're paying the right premium.

    Call CGU on 13 24 81



    The complete list of your responsibilities to us is listed in the Product Disclosure Statement and Policy.

  • How long will it take to process my claim?

    Every claim is different but our aim at all times is to process your claim as quickly as we can. Although some claims can be processed at first contact or in a relatively short time, other more complex claims may take us some time to work through the detail.

    Please contact your claims consultant for progress updates on your claim. Remember, the more information you give to us when you make a claim, the quicker we will be able to process it.

  • What happens if there’s a dispute over who is ‘at fault’ in an incident?

    We will investigate the incident further, endeavouring to obtain a full incident description from all parties involved and any relevant witnesses that may be available.

    Once all relevant information has been received and considered a decision on who is ‘at fault’ will be made.

    If you are unhappy with our decision, you can raise this issue through our three-step dispute resolution process described below.

  • My financier has asked me for a Certificate of Currency. What is this?

    A Certificate of Currency (COC) is a document issued by your insurer to show that your cover is current and usually indicates the amount or conditions of the protection you hold. To request a COC, you can call us on 13 24 81 during business hours or request one online.

  • How do I make a claim?

    The easiest way to claim is by calling CGU on 13 24 80, 24 hours a day, every day of the year. If you need to complete a claim form, you can download them online.

    If you purchased insurance through an advisor or broker, it's best to contact them directly.

  • Can I arrange repairs/replacement before I make a claim?

    CGU would recommend you lodge a claim prior to arranging any repairs/replacement.

    Most of our customers prefer to access CGU's managed repairers which offers quality goods or repairs from authorised businesses which CGU can facilitate for you.

    However, you can choose your own repairer or supplier if you wish. To do this you need to provide CGU with a written quote from your chosen supplier. If the quote is determined to be fair and reasonable (that is comparable to quotes we have received), then you can engage your supplier.

    If you need to contact our preferred supplier network and arrange any necessary emergency repairs - for example, glass or car windscreens - you will find them to be supportive and understanding of your needs.

  • Why should I use CGU’s managed repairers?

    By choosing to use CGU’s managed repairers you will save time and avoid the hassle of obtaining replacement or repair quotes yourself and submitting these for CGU's consideration. Our supplier network is extensive and can provide you with prompt attention at a time convenient to you.

    Each of our suppliers has been through an extensive selection process ensuring they are thoroughly professional, deliver work to the highest standard and possess outstanding customer service. Our suppliers are compliant with all relevant WorkCover and OH&S regulations.

  • What information do you need when I claim?

    The more information you can give our claims consultant, the quicker we will be able to assess and pay your claim.

    In general, you will need to provide the following details:

    • your policy number
    • verify your personal and policy details  
    • the name of the policyholder (if you're claiming on behalf of someone else)
    • detailed description of the incident
    • the date of the incident or event and the address where it happened
    • details of any other parties involved.
  • What documents can I request online?

    You can request any policy documents online and we will arrange to send them to you within two business days. If your request is urgent, please call us on 13 24 81 during business hours as we may be able to provide your documents more quickly.

    Request a Certificate of Currency
    Request a Tax Invoice
    Request other documents

  • How can I find out how my assessment or repair is progressing?

    For queries on motor assessments and repairs you can call 13 24 80 from 8am–5pm (SA & Vic time) Mon–Fri.

  • What happens with my excess?

    All excesses are clearly specified in your insurance policy schedule or policy booklet and conditions regarding the payment of your excess will vary depending on the policy type, i.e. motor, landlord, etc.

    For instance, with a motor claim, if we determine you are not 'at fault' in an incident, we will not deduct the excess specified in your insurance policy when we settle your claim. However, if we determine you are 'at fault', the excess will apply.

  • Can my partner (or someone else) make a claim on my behalf?

    Yes, they can lodge a claim on your behalf, but we require written permission from the policyholder before settling any claim. If you are not the policyholder and you ring us directly to lodge a claim, we will ask to verify your personal details and those of the policyholder.

  • Do you use my personal information for anything else?

    CGU is committed to handling your personal information in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

  • Dispute Resolution Process: What if I’m not happy with the way my claim is progressing?

    If you are unhappy with the way your claim is progressing or wish to dispute a decision we have made, we have a simple, transparent, three-step dispute resolution process.

    Step 1: Talk to us first

    If you have a complaint, speak with the claims consultant managing your claim. If they are unable to resolve the matter to your satisfaction, ask to speak to a team manager. If you are still not satisfied with our response, then you are entitled to seek a review.

    Step 2: Seek a review

    If the matter is still not resolved, the team manager will refer you to our Internal Dispute Resolution team, who will conduct a review of your dispute. If you are still not satisfied with our response, then you are entitled to seek an external review.

    Step 3: Seek an external review

    We will provide you with information about the options available to you, including, if appropriate, referring you to the external dispute resolution scheme administered by the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA).

    Please feel free to ask your claims consultant for more information about our complaint and dispute resolution procedures.

Have a question that's not here?

Call us on 13 24 80 and we'll answer any other questions you may have.