Talk to Us

We're here for you

Whether you need make a claim or to ask a question we're only a phone call away.

For claims

Call13 24 80

24 hours, 7 days a week

For general enquiries

Call13 24 81

Personal Insurance
8:30am to 5:00pm AEDST, Monday to Friday

Business Insurance
8:00am to 8:00pm AEDST, Monday to Friday

Web Chat

Web chat

8:30am to 5:00pm AEDST, Monday to Friday

While overseas

Call +61 3 9601 8222

Need your current policy documents?

Request business documents Request personal documents


Submit a car insurance claim or a home insurance claim online.

Or call us anytime 24/7 on 13 24 80.

Need to make a claim? We’re here to help.

Claims FAQs

  • How do I make a claim?

    The quickest and easiest way to make a claim is to contact CGU directly on 13 24 80. Claims can be lodged 24 hours/7 days a week.

    Enquiries on existing claims can be made from 8:30am to 5:00pm local time.

    If you need to make a life insurance, travel insurance, consumer credit insurance, or home warranty claim, please read the instructions on the relevant page.

  • What information do I need to make a claim?

    In general, you will need to provide the following details:

    • your policy number
    • standard information to identify yourself
    • the name of the insured on the policy
    • detailed description of the incident
    • the date of loss and the loss address
    • any details of other parties involved (if applicable).
  • What happens when I make a claim?

    Once you’ve made a claim, we will allocate a claims consultant who will keep in touch with you about the status of your claim and next steps.

    You’ll receive a claim number, which will be your ongoing reference for the claim.

    For more information about the claims process, please select your product above. 

  • What documents do I need to make a claim?

    Certain documents and information can assist us in assessing and settling your claim.  Some examples of documents you can provide to help us include:

    • Photos
    • Receipts
    • Valuation certificates
    • Credit card or bank statements
    • User manuals
  • How long will it take to process my claim?

    Every claim is different but our aim at all times is to process your claim as quickly as we can. Although some claims can be processed at first contact or in a relatively short time, other more complex claims may take us some time to work through the detail.

    Please contact your claims consultant for progress updates on your claim. Remember, the more information you give to us when you make a claim, the quicker we will be able to process it.

  • Can my partner (or someone else) make a claim on my behalf?

    Yes, they can lodge a claim on your behalf, but we require permission from the policyholder (you) before settling any claim.

    If you are not the policyholder and you ring us directly to lodge a claim, we will ask to verify your personal details and those of the policyholder.

  • Will I need to pay an excess?

    An excess is the amount you may have to pay toward a claim.  There are different excesses that apply depending on the claim you’re making and the terms of your insurance policy with us.

    For example, if your car is damaged in an accident where we determine you are not at fault, you may not need to pay an excess. However, if you were at fault, you would need to pay the excess. 

    We will advise you if you will need to pay an excess on your claim. 

  • What happens if there’s a disagreement over who is ‘at fault’ in an incident?

    We will investigate the incident further, endeavouring to obtain a full incident description from all parties involved and any relevant witnesses that may be available.

    Once all relevant information has been received and considered a decision on who is ‘at fault’ will be made.

    If you are unhappy with our decision, you can raise this issue further through the dispute resolution process.

  • What if I’m unhappy with the way my claim is handled, or want to dispute a decision?

    We will always do our best to provide you the highest level of service but if you are not happy or have a complaint or dispute, here is what you can do.

    Step 1: Talk to us first

    The first thing to do is contact us about your concerns.

    Our consultants will try to resolve complaints at first contact or shortly thereafter, if we are unable to do so, we may refer you to a manager (or you can ask to speak to a manager yourself).

    The consultant or manager will attempt to respond and resolve your complaint as soon as possible. If they require more information, they will aim to respond within 15 days of receipt of your complaint.

    Step 2: Contact Customer Relations

    If we can't quickly resolve your complaint, you can ask for it to be escalated to our Customer Relations team.

    You can also contact the Customer Relations team directly by:


    Phone: 1800 045 517

    Fax: 1800 649 290

    In writing to: Free post (no stamp needed) at:
    Customer Relations
    Reply Paid 89824
    Sydney NSW 2001

    Customer Relations will contact you if they require additional information or have reached a decision. Customer Relations will advise you of the progress of your complaint and the timeframe for a decision in relation to your complaint.

    Step 3: Seek an external review

    We expect our procedures will deal fairly and promptly with your complaint. If you are unhappy with the decision made by Customer Relations you may wish to seek an external review, such as referring the issue to the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA).

    AFCA provides fair and independent financial services complaint resolution that is free to customers. AFCA has authority to hear certain complaints. AFCA will confirm if they can assist you:

    Free Call: 1800 931 678


    Mail: Australian Financial Complaints Authority GPO Box 3 Melbourne VIC 3001


    Some time limits apply to AFCA complaints, so act quickly. Check the AFCA website to see if time limits apply to your situation.

    Further information about our complaint and dispute resolution process is available by contacting us.