Preparing an Injury Management System
You must have an Injury Management System (IMS) established in accordance with the Injury Management Code of Practice. If you require assistance in establishing an IMS then please contact your case manager. Please note a $2000.00 penalty applies to employers who do not have an IMS in place.
Injury management training
CGU provides all policy holders with free access to online injury management training via our .Live online tools.
- an overview of injury management
- legal requirements
- roles and responsibilities in injury management
- responding to injuries
- claims management and early intervention
- recovery and returning to the workplace.
CGU also offers classroom style training on injury management. More information is available in our Tools and Resources section.
Return To Work Program
You are responsible for preparing a Return To Work Program for your injured worker that:
- describes how you will help your employee return to work after an injury
- is based on the treating doctor’s recommendations and approval and co-ordinated with the IMS
- is developed in consultation with your employee. You must make it available to them on request.
If the doctor thinks the employee is fit to work, but not in their normal job, you must consider suitable duties such as:
- parts of the job the employee was doing before the injury
- the same job, but on reduced hours
- different duties altogether
- duties at a different site
- training opportunities
- a combination of some or all the above
When considering suitable duties, the following must be taken into account:
- the work capabilities the treating doctor has listed
- the age, education and work skills of the injured worker
- where the worker lives
- what duties are useful within your business
- they must not be demeaning or token duties
Contact your case manager for more information and to obtain an Employer’s Guide and templates for developing a Return To Work Program.
Please note a $2000.00 penalty applies to employers that do not establish a Return to Work program.
Return to work training
CGU offers a range of training courses to help you in the area of Return to Work. More information is available in our Tools and Resources section.