Professional indemnity Insurance
- Choose your level of cover, up to $10 million
- Pay by the month, no extra cost
- Get a quote in under 5 minutes
How it works
Professional Indemnity is designed to protect businesses that give professional advice or provide services to clients.
If a client claims a mistake your business made caused them injury or financial loss, Professional Indemnity covers the cost of your legal defence and damages you have to pay.
Who needs it?
If you give advice or provide professional services, Professional Indemnity can help prevent a mistake from costing your business.
It can help businesses like accountants and bookkeepers, IT specialists, advertising agencies and management consultants.
Why is it important?
Legal costs to defend yourself against any claim can be significant, and they can mean interruptions to your cash flow and disruption in your business.
Professional Indemnity can cover you for some unexpected costs like damages, claims investigations, public relations consultants and more.
Breach of duty
For example, if you fail to lodge a client’s paperwork in time.
Breach of privacy or confidentiality
Like if you accidentally share a client’s personal information online.
Intellectual property infringement
Like if you unintentionally breach copyright in designs you give to a client.
For example, if someone claims that your social media post damaged their reputation.
Lost or damaged documents
Like if you lost a client’s financial documents after they’d given them to you to look after.
We cover the cost of a PR consultant to help repair your reputation after a claim against you1.
Claims investigation costs
We cover the legal costs and expenses of investigating, defending and settling claims made against you (up to the amount of cover you have).
We don’t cover claims or circumstances you know about before your policy starts.
We don’t cover intentional damage you cause to a third party.
We don’t cover costs or expenses caused by you complying with contractual obligations you’ve chosen to enter into with a client.
We don’t cover claims made against you because your business went bankrupt or becomes insolvent.
Specialised protection for specialised businesses
If you’re a specialist, you often have particular needs. That includes protecting yourself from risks specific to your industry, or risks that can be more complex than others.
Learn more about the range of professional risks you can choose cover for.
Still have questions?
When you get our Professional Indemnity, you choose between four levels of cover - $1 million, $2 million, $5 million and $10 million.
The fastest way to see how much Professional Indemnity costs for you is to get a quote.
The main difference is that only Professional Indemnity covers claims made against you because of the professional advice or services you provide to your clients.
Forms and Downloads
- Professional Indemnity Insurance Policy (for policies starting or renewed from 14 August 2021)
- Professional Indemnity Insurance Policy (for policies starting or renewed from 30 May–13 August 2021
- Professional Indemnity Policy (for policies starting or renewed from 30 June 2019–29 May 2021)
- Professional Indemnity Policy (for policies starting or renewed from 1 August 2017–29 June 2019)
- An important notice to the applicant
Things you should know
- We cover reasonable and necessary fees, costs and expenses of PR consultants retained by you if we agree in writing beforehand. Limits for these are in the policy booklet.