Talk to Us

We're here for you

Whether you need make a claim or to ask a question we're only a phone call away.

For claims

Call13 24 80

24 hours, 7 days a week

For general enquiries

Call13 24 81

Personal Insurance
8:30am to 5:00pm AEDST, Monday to Friday

Business Insurance
8:00am to 8:00pm AEDST, Monday to Friday

While overseas

Call +61 3 9601 8222

Need your current policy documents?

Request business documents Request personal documents

Hospitality insurance

Own a restaurant, cafe, catering business or bakery? Get cover for your hospitality business online in a few easy steps. 

Speak to us on 13 24 81
Save up to $100 when you buy small business insurance online*. *Conditions apply

CGU hospitality insurance offers a range of covers

CGU’s business insurance is flexible and can be easily customised to meet the needs of your hospitality business. Whether you own a restaurant, cafe, catering business or bakery - our hospitality insurance offers flexible cover for your business. Our hospitality insurance offers you the flexibility to tailor your package depending on the type of business you run.

Hospitality businesses often take out cover for the following types of events:

  • Property and fire

    Covers your business premises from damage to buildings, contents, stock, tools and equipment caused by fire, natural perils like storms, and/or malicious damage.

  • Theft and burglary

    Covers your business for break-in and theft of your business stock, contents and equipment – this is often combined with ‘money’ cover, which covers money being stolen from your premises.

  • Public and products liability

    Protects your business against claims for accidental damage or injury caused to an individual or their property as a result of your work.

  • Glass

    Covers breakage to shop front windows, glass shelving, display cabinets, sign writing and advertising signs.

  • Money

    Covers money being stolen from your premises.

  • This is a summary only, for the full details of what is and is not covered, please read the Business Insurance Product Disclosure Statement.

More cover options

The majority of retailers have the covers listed above, however you may want to consider the following covers for your business:

Get a business insurance quote

Want a quick quote right away? You can get a quote and buy your business insurance online in under 3 minutes. Need help choosing the right insurance? Our CGU business insurance specialists can help answer your questions, or help you find an insurance broker if you need more help.

Hospitality insurance FAQs

  • Can I pay monthly at no extra cost?

    Yes, you can choose to pay monthly at no extra cost to help your business manage cash flow.

  • What is public liability insurance?

    Public liability insurance protects your business against claims resulting from accidents or injuries that occur as result of your business activities, as well as damage to property owned or controlled by someone else.

    Find out more about public liability

  • How much public liability insurance do I need?

    Every business is different, and there is no ‘one size fits all’ rule for how much public liability insurance your business needs.

    CGU offer three levels of public liability cover which can be purchased from us directly:

    • $5 million
    • $10 million
    • $20 million

    Public liability claims can be very costly, so it’s important you choose a level of cover that will financially protect your business should you need to make a claim.  

  • What’s the difference between ‘burglary’, ‘money’ and ‘fraud and dishonesty’?

    Burglary covers you from an unknown person breaking into your business premises and stealing business stock, contents or equipment. 

    Money covers money being stolen (burglary just covers physical contents, not currency). 

    Fraud and dishonesty covers you for loss of money caused by a dishonest or fraudulent act or omission by an employee with the clear intent of making an improper personal financial gain. 

    For more information about the cover options, and what is covered, please read the Product Disclosure Statement

  • What does business interruption cover?

    Out of all of the types of businesses CGU insurance covers, retail businesses are the ones that most often claim for business interruption.

    Business interruption covers the shortfall in gross profits caused by the interruption to your business resulting from an insured event (eg storm or fire damage) and helps pay ongoing costs and protects profit margins until your business is back on this feed and back at its profit level before the interruption.

    Find out more about business interruption and how it works. 

    For more information about this cover, please read the Product Disclosure Statement. ​

  • What is personal accident and illness cover?

    Personal accident and illness insurance helps you cover your costs if you are unable to work due to injury or illness. Personal accident and illness cover provides a weekly benefit to your loss of income due to an accident or illness. You can also select an option for compensation if certain specified permanent injuries occur (this is referred to as Lump Sum benefits).

    For more information about this cover, please read the Product Disclosure Statement

  • What is the difference between personal accident and illness cover and income protection cover?

    Personal accident and illness can cover you if you are self-employed, and it provides short to medium term cover (maximum 104 weeks) if you are unable to work because of injury or illness.

    Income protection can cover anyone (self-employed, home-makers, part time workers, full time employees, etc) and is intended to be a long-term cover. 

    For more information about this cover, please read the Product Disclosure Statement

  • Do I need workers compensation insurance?

    Generally, if you employ or engage anyone else to work for you, you need workers compensation insurance. A ‘worker’ is a person who has entered into works under a contract of service with you – there doesn’t necessarily need to be a formal written contract in place – a verbal agreement or simply intent or understanding of an arrangement might be enough for someone to legally be considered a ‘worker’ under your state’s workers compensation legislation.

    Each state and territory in Australia has different types of workers compensation schemes. For more information about workers compensation in your state, please visit our workers compensation section. 

  • Why do I need to tell you what my business turnover is?

    We use turnover to gauge the size of your business and make sure our products can provide your business with adequate coverage – it does not influence pricing.

Business interruption

Insuring for business interruption

Would your business survive if you had to shut your doors? Find out more