Talk to Us

We're here for you

Whether you need make a claim or to ask a question we're only a phone call away.

For claims

Call13 24 80

24 hours, 7 days a week

For general enquiries

Call13 24 81

Personal Insurance
8:30am to 5:00pm AEDST, Monday to Friday

Business Insurance
8:00am to 8:00pm AEDST, Monday to Friday

Web Chat

Web chat

8:30am to 5:00pm AEDST, Monday to Friday

While overseas

Call +61 3 9601 8222

Need your current policy documents?

Request business documents Request personal documents

Claims FAQ

Frequently asked questions to help guide you through the claims process

If you need to make a claim, we've made the process simple and straightforward. The easiest way to claim is to call us on 13 24 80, and a claims consultant will guide you through the process.

No one expects they will need to make an insurance claim, but every year CGU pays on average $1.3 billion dollars in claims to people who have had an unexpected incident.

At CGU, we know that when you need to make a claim, you’ve already been through a stressful time. We’ve made our claims process simple and hassle-free to help resolve your claim quickly and get you back on your feet.

The following are some commonly asked questions about our claims process. If you have a question that isn't answered here, please call our claims team on 13 24 80.

Frequently asked questions

  • What should I do if I want to make a claim?

    The quickest and easiest way to make a claim is to contact CGU directly on 13 24 80 (13 CGU 0). Claims can be lodged 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

    Enquiries on existing claims can be made from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm local time.

    If you need to make a life insurance, travel insurance, or consumer credit insurance claim, please read the instructions on the relevant page.

  • How do I change my personal details?

    You can change your details by calling us on 13 24 81 during business hours or by submitting your request online. You should let us know of changes as soon as you can, within 14 days.

  • How do I get a tax invoice?

    Once your policy has been paid or automatic instalments have been set up, your policy schedule becomes an official tax Invoice. If you have special requirements for your tax needs, you can call us on 13 24 81 during business hours or request one online.

  • What information will I need when lodging a claim?

    The more information you are able to give our claims consultant, the quicker we will be able to settle.

    In general, you will need to provide the following details:

    • Your policy number and type
    • Verify your personal policy details
    • The name of the insured on the policy
    • Detailed description of the incident
    • The date of loss and the loss address
    • Any details of other parties involved (if applicable).
  • What happens when I make a claim?

    Once your claim is lodged with CGU, we will allocate a claims consultant who will contact you regarding the next steps. Your claims consultant will keep you informed about your claim's progress along the way.

    We will give you a claim number which will be your ongoing reference to the claim. Please use this reference for all claims enquiries and when providing information to CGU on your claim.

    Some claims are simple but others are more involved - either way, you can be assured that we will be working as quickly and efficiently as we can to process your claim as soon as we can.

  • A client has asked me to provide a Certificate of Currency before I commence work. What is this?

    A Certificate of Currency (COC) is a document issued by your insurer to show that your cover is current and usually indicates the amount or conditions of the protection you hold. To request a COC, you can call us on 13 24 81 during business hours or request one online.

  • How do I make a claim?

    The easiest way to claim is by calling CGU on 13 24 80 24 hours a day, every day of the year. If you need to complete a claim form, you can download them online.

    If you purchased insurance through an advisor or broker, it's best to contact them directly.

    Frequently asked claims questions

  • How long will it take to process my claim?

    Every claim is different but our aim at all times is to process your claim as quickly as we can. Although some claims can be processed at first contact or in a relatively short time, other more complex claims may take us some time to work through the detail.

    Please contact your claims consultant for progress updates on your claim. Remember, the more information you give to us when you make a claim, the quicker we will be able to process it.

  • What happens if there’s a dispute over who is ‘at fault’ in an incident?

    We will investigate the incident further, endeavouring to obtain a full incident description from all parties involved and any relevant witnesses that may be available.

    Once all relevant information has been received and considered a decision on who is ‘at fault’ will be made.

    If you are unhappy with our decision, you can raise this issue through our three-step dispute resolution process described below.

  • What documents can I request online?

    You can request any policy documents online and we will arrange to send them to you within two business days. If your request is urgent, please call us on 13 24 81 during business hours as we may be able to provide your documents more quickly.

  • What information do you need when I claim?

    The more information you can give our claims consultant, the quicker we will be able to assess and pay your claim.

    In general, you will need to provide the following details:

    • Your policy number
    • Verify your personal and policy details
    • The name of the policyholder (if you're claiming on behalf of someone else)
    • Detailed description of the incident
    • The date of the incident or event and the address where it happened
    • Details of any other parties involved.
  • Can I arrange repairs/replacement before I make a claim?

    CGU would recommend you lodge a claim prior to arranging any repairs/replacement.

    Most of our customers prefer to access CGU's managed repairers which offers quality goods or repairs from authorised businesses which CGU can facilitate for you.

    However, you can choose your own repairer or supplier if you wish. To do this you need to provide CGU with a written quote from your chosen supplier. If the quote is determined to be fair and reasonable (that is comparable to quotes we have received), then you can engage your supplier.

    If you need to contact our preferred supplier network and arrange any necessary emergency repairs - for example, glass or car windscreens - you will find them to be supportive and understanding of your needs.

  • Why should I use CGU’s managed repairers?

    By choosing to use CGU’s managed repairers you will save time and avoid the hassle of obtaining replacement or repair quotes yourself and submitting these for CGU's consideration. Our supplier network is extensive and can provide you with prompt attention at a time convenient to you.

    Each of our suppliers has been through an extensive selection process ensuring they are thoroughly professional, deliver work to the highest standard and possess outstanding customer service. Our suppliers are compliant with all relevant WorkCover and OH&S regulations.

  • What is Professional Indemnity, and what does it cover me for?

    If your business includes providing a service or advice, Professional Indemnity Insurance will protect you from claims made against your business for damage or loss caused by an act while you are providing your service.

    Learn about Professional Indemnity Insurance.

  • What is Public Liability, and do I need it?

    Public Liability Insurance safeguards your business against claims made against you for damage, loss or injury that occur in the course of doing business. Claims can be very large and can cause significant financial distress on small businesses. Public Liability Insurance will cover you for the amount your may be liable to pay as well as any legal fees to defend the claim. If during the course of performing your business activities you interact with people in public places, you should consider this type of insurance.

    Learn about Public Liability Insurance.

  • How can I find out how my assessment or repair is progressing?

    For queries on motor assessments and repairs you can call 13 24 80 (13 CGU 0) from 8am to 5pm (SA & Vic time) Monday to Friday.

  • What happens with my excess?

    All excesses are clearly specified in your insurance policy schedule or policy booklet and conditions regarding the payment of your excess will vary depending on the policy type, i.e. motor, landlord, etc.

    For instance, with a motor claim, if we determine you are not 'at fault' in an incident, we will not deduct the excess specified in your insurance policy when we settle your claim. However, if we determine you are 'at fault', the excess will apply.

  • What’s the difference between liability and workers compensation?

    Public Liability protects the business against claims for damage/loss made by the public or customers, whereas Workers Compensation covers your employees if they are injured at work. This could include medical and all asscoiated expenses related to the workplace incident.

  • Can my partner (or someone else) make a claim on my behalf?

    Yes, they can lodge a claim on your behalf, but we require written permission from the policyholder before settling any claim. If you are not the policyholder and you ring us directly to lodge a claim, we will ask to verify your personal details and those of the policyholder.

  • Do you use my personal information for anything else?

    CGU is committed to handling your personal information in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

  • Dispute Resolution Process: What if I’m not happy with the way my claim is progressing?

    If you are unhappy with the way your claim is progressing or wish to dispute a decision we have made, we have a simple, transparent, three-step dispute resolution process.

    Step 1: Talk to us first

    If you have a complaint, speak with the claims consultant managing your claim. If they are unable to resolve the matter to your satisfaction, ask to speak to a team manager. If you are still not satisfied with our response, then you are entitled to seek a review.

    Step 2: Seek a review

    If the matter is still not resolved, the team manager will refer you to our Internal Dispute Resolution team, who will conduct a review of your dispute. If you are still not satisfied with our response, then you are entitled to seek an external review.

    Step 3: Seek an external review

    We will provide you with information about the options available to you, including, if appropriate, referring you to the external dispute resolution scheme administered by the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA).

    Please feel free to ask your claims consultant for more information about our complaint and dispute resolution procedures.

  • Have a question that's not here?

    Call us on 13 24 80 and we'll answer any other questions you may have.