Protect your home this season with our best tips.
Security and safety first
Christmas time means visits from friends and family, and kids running around from inside and outside the house. Ensure to keep your windows, garage, and doors locked up, it only takes a few moments for an opportunistic thief to dash in inside and grab keys or cash from your house. Before you know it, they’ll be out the door whilst you are distracted with festivities.
Also think about basic security around the home. Consider installing sensor lights, alarm systems, and strong locks if you haven’t already. It’s also a great time to clean up the yard and put tools away. Stray tools and bricks can sometimes be used by thieves to get inside your house, so make it harder for them by being tidy.
Are you going away this Christmas?
If you’re heading away during the Christmas period, be aware that your empty house may become a target for thieves. Follow these tips to prevent a home burglary:
- Tell your trusted neighbour you’re going away and ask them to help make your house look lived in, at least from the outside
- Have your mail collected and your bins put out by your neighbour
- Ask the neighbour to park in your driveway or a family member to come to visit and check on the house every now and then
- Use automatic timer lighting to make it look like someone is inside at night time
- Hide valuables or lock them in a safe before you go away
- Don’t post on social media until you get back! You don’t want to alert the world that you are not at home and your house is empty. Wait until you are safely back home to post those happy snaps.
Don’t display the presents
Your Christmas tree may look amazing with gifts stacked up underneath and lights on in the front window, but this a huge neon sign for thieves looking to find something to take. Avoid doing this in the time leading up to Christmas Day.
Package theft is thing
Christmas time is buying season, and many of us have turned to online shopping to buy presents for our family and friends. Unfortunately, there are people who look for unattended packages left outside homes and take them. Think about staying home to receive packages if you know they will be arriving, get them delivered to work, or make note to the sender that you’d like to sign for the package instead or leaving it out the front of the home.
Don’t let crime dampen the mood this Christmas, get your home and contents covered with adequate Home Insurance today at CGU. Call us today on 13 24 81.