Talk to Us

Wherever you are, CGU will help you
see it through.

Call us

13 24 81

Personal Insurance 8am-8pm Monday to Friday
Overseas: +61 3 9601 8222

Getting the right home and contents insurance in the Northern Territory

Famous for sunsets and storms, the Top End is like nowhere else in Australia. If you live up here, brace yourself for some big weather – and make sure your home and contents insurance is up-to-date.

Calling the Top End home

About one quarter of a million people live in the Northern Territory. It’s a vast state, extending from the monsoonal Top End, to the bone-dry deserts of Central Australia down around Alice Springs.

Most people live in Darwin – a relaxed and friendly city famed for its vibrant night markets, spectacular sunsets and dramatic thunderstorms during the wet season. Darwin is modern and multicultural, attracting a diverse population keen to strike the perfect work-life balance. With Kakadu and Litchfield only short drives away, many Darwinians set off each weekend on camping and fishing adventures to some of the most incredible places on earth.

Katherine, Alice Springs and Tennant Creek are the other major towns in the Northern Territory, with hundreds of other small remote communities scattered throughout the territory.

Get inspiration on where to live in the Territory

Insurance tips for living in the Northern Territory

If you’re living in Darwin, then you need to be prepared for cyclones to hit during the wet season. Over the past 100 years, Darwin and surrounds have been devastated by three major cyclones and many more severe storm events – causing widespread damage and destruction to homes and properties. Further south, bushfire is a more common threat.

Wherever you live in the Northern Territory, you never know when a severe storm or natural disaster may hit. That’s why it’s important that you take every step to protect yourself against these unpredictable risks. This includes having the right home and contents insurance to give you the peace of mind that you can get back on your feet after disaster strikes.

Need to check your insurance?

If you already have home and contents insurance, check it regularly to make sure you’ve got the right amount of cover – so that you’re protected against whatever weather event the Top End throws at you.