Do you need an adviser who operates in your area? If so, find out which businesses are based nearby by conducting a location search of this site. If you require a specialised business insurance service, search by adviser specialty.
CGU has a great tool to help you find an adviser in your local area.
Do you need small business or domestic cover, personal service, special risk management services or technical advice? Would you prefer to work with a small or large insurance firm?
Ask the insurance adviser you've selected to give you an expression of interest or a proposal. This should detail:
- their qualifications and registration with official bodies or associations (such as NIBA)
- who would service the account
- their experience with your type of business
- their range of services
- size of their "typical" client
- how they bill for work
From the expression of interest you'll get a feel for who may be right for you. As a business you might then ask them to make a presentation. At the presentation you should look for:
- business compatibility
- level of commitment
- how they propose to solve your insurance problems
- the competitive advantages of their firm over any others you may have selected
Once you've made a decision, include a review period in the relationship with your adviser. This allows both parties to discuss issues of concern and see if the relationship is working.